Kaitlyn, a main character in The Freshman, The Sophomore, The Junior, and The Senior series, was a student at Hartfeld and a former vocalist of the female punk band "The Gutter Kittens". She's also one of your love interests. She graduated in The Senior, Chapter 15. She made her first appearance in The Freshman, Book 1, Chapter 1.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 Chapters
- 3.1 The Freshman
- 3.2 The Haunting of Braidwood Manor
- 3.3 The Sophomore
- 3.4 The Junior
- 3.5 The Senior
- 3.6 America's Most Eligible
- 3.7 Save the Date
- 4 Relationships
- 5 Gallery
- 6 Trivia
- 7 References
Kaitlyn has dark brown eyes, long black hair, and light skin. She has two piercings on her left ear. During The Freshman, her usual outfit changes every quarter.
In The Sophomore, her hair is initially shorter, reaching a few inches down to her chin. Kaitlyn wears a black, floral print top, and black jeans. She has a black choker and silver necklaces. If you choose to give her a makeover, you can choose to give her a new hairstyle and outfit, or have her go back to an appearance from The Freshman. The choice carries over through The Junior and The Senior.
Kaitlyn is a funny, lively girl. She loves parties, shopping, and gossip, but is also very loyal to her friends. She is also rebellious given that she has committed several misdemeanors throughout the series such as underage drinking, trespassing, and vandalism.
- Chapter 1: Welcome to Hartfeld University
- Chapter 2: Rooftop Games
- Chapter 3: The Assistant
- Chapter 4: The All-Nighter
- Chapter 5: Game Day
- Chapter 6: Kappa House Party
- Chapter 7: Rush Week
- Chapter 8: On the Hunt
- Chapter 9: Sorority Ball, Part 1
- Chapter 10: Sorority Ball, Part 2
- Chapter 11: The Birthday Girl, Part 1
- Chapter 12: The Birthday Girl, Part 2
- Chapter 13: The Birthday Girl, Part 3
- Chapter 14: The Ashton Affair
- Chapter 16: Last Call
- Chapter 17: The Hartfeld Formal
- Chapter 1: Kaitlyn: The Perfect Date
- Chapter 1: Snowed In
- Chapter 2: Snow Worries
- Chapter 1: Winter in Hartfeld
- Chapter 2: Welcome Back Party
- Chapter 3: Auditions
- Chapter 4: Playing the Part
- Chapter 5: Stage Kiss
- Chapter 6: The Cast Party
- Chapter 7: The Talk
- Chapter 8: The Hospital
- Chapter 9: Just Friends
- Chapter 10: Ballot Boxing
- Chapter 11: Visitors
- Chapter 12: The Debate (Mentioned)
- Chapter 13: Swing Vote Sixties
- Chapter 14: Inauguration Night
- Chapter 15: Setting Sail
- Chapter 1: New Leaves
- Chapter 2: A Place to Belong
- Chapter 3: New Kid on the Block
- Chapter 4: Budgetary Concerns
- Chapter 5: Bad Reputation
- Chapter 6: A Kappa Birthday
- Chapter 7: Rebel With a Cause
- Chapter 8: Misadventures in Babysitting (Determinant)
- Chapter 9: Until We Meet Again (Determinant)
- Chapter 10: Caught in the Middle
- Chapter 11: Rock 'Roll' Hartfeld
- Chapter 12: Flirting With Disaster
- Chapter 14: Karma Chameleon
- Chapter 15: Take a Chance on Me
- Chapter 16: Never Gonna Give You Up
- Chapter 17: Don't You (Forget About Me)
- Chapter 1: Rockin' Down the Highway (Off-screen)
- Chapter 4: Can't Buy Me Love (Off-screen)
- Chapter 5: Born to be Wild
- Chapter 6: Hungry Like the Wolf
- Chapter 7: Bad Moon Rising
- Chapter 8: Stand By Me
- Chapter 1: May the Best Couple Win (Determinant)
- Chapter 2: Everyone's A Winner
- Chapter 1: The Bite
- Chapter 2: Blood Wanted
- Chapter 6: Confessions
- Chapter 1: Semi-Charmed Life
- Chapter 2: Carry Me Home
- Chapter 4: Bills, Bills, Bills
- Chapter 5: Party Up
- Chapter 6: Smells Like Teen Spirit
- Chapter 7: Livin' La Vida Loca
- Chapter 8: I Want It That Way
- Chapter 9: Barbie Girls
- Chapter 11: Sabotage
- Chapter 12: Get What You Give
- Chapter 14: Unbreak My Heart (Determinant)
- Chapter 15: Bitter Sweet Symphony
- Chapter 16: Baby One More Time
- Chapter 17: It's The End of the World as We Know It
- Chapter 1: Hanging by a Moment
- Chapter 2: Everything Will be Alright
- Chapter 3: Independent Woman
- Chapter 4: Come Away With Me
- Chapter 5: Take a Bow
- Chapter 6: Daddy Wasn't There
- Chapter 7: Try Again
- Chapter 8: Family Affairs
- Chapter 9: Bye Bye Bye
- Chapter 10: Get the Party Started
- Chapter 11: Beautiful Day
- Chapter 13: U Got it Bad
- Chapter 14: Graduation (Friends Forever)
- Chapter 15: Not Ready to Make Nice
- Chapter 2: I Know What You Did Last Quarter
- Chapter 1: Live While We're Young
- Chapter 2: A Head Full of Dreams
- Chapter 3: Shake it Off (Determinant)
- Chapter 5: Somebody That I Used to Know (Determinant)
- Chapter 6: Problem
- Chapter 7: We Are Young
- Chapter 8: Bad Blood
- Chapter 11: Sorry (Determinant)
- Chapter 12: Rolling in the Deep
- Chapter 13: Look What You Made Me Do
- Chapter 1: Don't Stop Me Now (Determinant)
- Chapter 2: Year of the Cat
- Chapter 3: Atomic Punk
- Chapter 4: Mr. Blue Sky
- Chapter 5: The Jungle Line (Determinant)
- Chapter 6: We Are The Champions (Determinant)
- Chapter 7: Hooked on a Feeling (Determinant)
- Chapter 8: Video Killed the Radio Star
- Chapter 9: Rebel Rebel
- Chapter 10: Imagine (Determinant)
- Chapter 11: Go Your Own Way (Determinant)
- Chapter 12: Don't Go Breaking My Heart (Determinant)
- Chapter 13: London Calling (Determinant)
- Chapter 14: Come And Get Your Love
- Chapter 15: Changes
- Chapter 4: Dance, Dance
- Chapter 16: So Long, Miami
- Chapter 8: Down the Aisle (Determinant)
In The Freshman, Book 1, Darren is atracted to Kaitlyn. However, Kaitlyn doesn't reciprocate his feelings for her since she's a lesbian as well having feelings for Your Character. She confides in Darren and tells him about her crush on Your Character, and Darren is very understanding and supportive. The two remain friends, and if Your Character rejects Kaitlyn, she and Darren will go to the formal together.
- "I love them, but... they're not the most open-minded people in the world."
- — Kaitlyn about her parents in Book 2, Chapter 4.
Kaitlyn is initially scared to come out to her parents. When they find out, Kaitlyn's mother is very accepting of her daughter's sexuality, revealing that she always knew, but said nothing because she wanted Kaitlyn to come to her. Her father initially struggles to come to terms with Kaitlyn's sexuality, but he eventually is able to fully accept her for who she is. By The Freshman, Book 4, he even buys a set of LGBTQ themed cups to support her, which he embarasses Kaitlyn by proudly displaying when guests visit.
Kaitlyn is instantly friendly towards Your Character and is very excited to be your suitemate. She initialy acts as a matchmaker for Chris and Your Character. However, she soon develops romantic feelings for Your Character herself. It is up to Your Character whether or not you see Kaitlyn as more than a friend. Kaitlyn reveals she is fine with just being friends if Your Character chooses so.
You support her when Arjun arrives and she is worried about coming out to him, and later when her parents visit her and she accidentally comes out to them. Although she briefly freezes you out after her parents' visit, the two of you soon repair your friendship/relationship.
If you are dating her, she helps you babysit Rico in The Freshman, Book 3, even though babies are not her forte. If Your Character has been dating Kaitlyn since the beginning of The Freshman series, in The Sophomore, Book 2, Chapter 4, the two of you celebrate your one year anniversary.
In The Sophomore, Book 2, if you help build up Kaitlyn's confidence, she will throw her guitar pick at you before the band starts performing in the final round of Battle of the Bands in Chapter 13. In Chapter 15, if you are dating her, she will ask you if you want to move in together. If you are not dating Kaitlyn, you have the opportunity to encourage her interest in Annisa.
In The Senior, Chapter 15, Kaitlyn will propose to you if she is your love interest.
At first, Kaitlyn wants to hook Your Character up with Chris, as she thinks that you would make a cute couple and feels that Chris is obviously attracted to you. However, Kaitlyn soon realizes that she is romantically interested in Your Character and stops trying to set you up with Chris. In The Freshman, Book 2, she acts as his campaign manager.
Abbie & Tyler
Kaitlyn is very excited about Zack's plan to match-make two of her roommates. Tyler and Abbie. In The Senior, Chapter 4, Abbie tells Kaitlyn that she has always seen Kaitlyn as a cross between Joan Jett, David Bowie, and either Tegan or Sara (though she can't remember who is who), all of whom are musicians and common LGBTQ icons in American queer culture.
Kaitlyn's friendship with Abbie becomes strained in The Freshman, Book 3, after Abbie reacts badly to Kaitlyn siding with her bandmates over her old circle of friends. Kaitlyn becomes angry at Abbie in return. However, they are able to mend their friendship near the end of Book 3.
Zack is one of Kaitlyn's roommates during their freshman year. After Kaitlyn comes out, he sometimes takes her under his wing since he has been out for longer than she has. They move in together in their sophomore year to live at Vasquez's house.
Kaitlyn meets Natasha in Book 3, during your visit to Hartfeld's art club. Kaitlyn admires Natasha's painting and also finds her attractive. Although Natasha likes Kaitlyn, she is rude to Kaitlyn's friends. Kaitlyn initially makes excuses for Natasha's behavior due to her desire to fit in, but she eventually stands up to Natasha and defends her friends.
Natasha values music over everything else and thinks that school is a fallback for people who aren't truly talented. Because of this, she pressures Kaitlyn to prioritize their band, The Gutter Kittens, at the expense of her schoolwork. This is a major factor in Kaitlyn nearly flunking her last quarter during her freshman year. When she berates Kaitlyn for missing practice to take her makeup exams, Kaitlyn finally cuts ties with Natasha and leaves The Gutter Kittens.
During The Sophomore, Kaitlyn has a lot of animosity toward Natasha because of what happened in The Freshman, Book 3. With Your Character's help, she learns to move on from it and calls a truce between her and Natasha in The Sophomore, Book 2. In The Senior, Chapter 3, Natasha crashes a performance by Kaitlyn's new band. She offers Kaitlyn the chance to tour with Natasha's new band, The Loose Pins, which Kaitlyn accepts.
Your Character (THoBM)
Kaitlyn and Your Character attend the same anthropology class and hang out together outside of class.
Annisa is a member and keyboardist in Kaitlyn's band. She is a potential love interest for Kaitlyn, if she is single. If Kaitlyn is single and if you encourage her interest in Annisa, Annisa will ask Kaitlyn to be her girlfriend during the Battle of the Bands and the two will become official in Chapter 13. If you do not matchmake them (or if you are dating) Kaitlyn and Annisa remain friends and collaborators through their band.
- She is shown on the covers of The Freshman, Book 3, The Freshman, Book 4, Kaitlyn: The Perfect Date, The Freshman: Game of Love, The Freshman: Love Bites, and The Sophomore: Hartfeld Horror Story.
- Her birthday is in the fall.
- Kaitlyn is the first LGBTQ love interest available in The Freshman - and in Choices at large.
- She is from Austin, Texas.
- She is Taiwanese-American.
- The name Kaitlyn is of English origin and means "pure" or "unsullied". It's a common variant of the name Caitriona, the Gaelic version of the Greek name Catherine.
- The surname Liao is of Chinese origin and means "kill" or "destroy". It's a variant of the surname Liu. Liao is also the name of an ancient state, which is presently in the province of Henan.
- In one option of The Freshman, Book 1, Chapter 2, if your character asks what is Kaitlyn's most embarrassing secret, she mentions that she had a MySpace account named "xXSorrowfulRaven95Xx" when she was a goth girl during middle school.
- Kaitlyn's first kiss was with a boy named Aaron in middle school. They were playing Seven Minutes in Heaven at a party and he had just eaten a jalapeno on a dare.
- She mentions in Book 1, Chapter 7, that she broke her leg in sophomore year of high school.
- In Book 2, if you choose to cheer her up, it's mentioned that she owns a teddy bear called "Mr. Bear". It has red eyes and matted fur and Your Characters says it's frightening. Kaitlyn agrees and says it is cute.
- Kaitlyn makes a cameo appearance in The Haunting of Braidwood Manor, Chapter 6.
- Kaitlyn's ultimate fantasy is to be covered in chocolate.
- She sometimes eats in the showers.
- In Helen Twombly's story in The Sophomore: Hartfeld Horror Story, she is renamed Caitlin and portrayed as a stereotypical party girl.
- In The Sophomore, Book 2, she declares her major in music in Chapter 13.
- In The Sophomore, Book 2, Chapter 15, if she is your love interest, she will be the one to get in the car with Tyler and Abbie.
- In The Senior, Chapter 15, Kaitlyn receives a Bachelor degree in Fine Arts and graduates with a major in Music.
- On December 21, 2018, Pixelberry shared a playlist that is an inspiration to Kaitlyn's character in Spotify.
- She makes a cameo appearance in Americal's Most Eligible, Book 3, Chapter 4.
- She makes a cameo appearance in a premium scene in Save the Date, Chapter 8.
- On April 10, 2020, Pixelberry tweeted their #QuarantineHouse challenge, placing Kaitlyn in House 6 with Maxwell Beaumont, Adrian Raines, Nia Ellarious, Cetus, and Logan.